Africa Media Development Foundation (AMDF) invites applications from interested professional, or freelance journalists in Africa for its Journalist of the Year Award.
• Each piece of work submitted must be an untold story from Africa and focused on Africans
• The piece must reflect high quality journalism work, highlighting major issues in the story, as well as skills of the entrant in terms of quality of writing and logical presentation.
• The piece should have been first published or broadcast in an African medium, or Africa focused medium, between 1st September, 2018 and 30th August, 2019.
Development focused stories
• Send a URL (web link) of the published work, alongside other required documents – hard copies are not acceptable.
• Entry should be sent through emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Award is open to professional journalists from Africa, who have published stories on either radio, tv, online, or print media targeting African audience.
• Only entries from Nigeria will be accepted in 2019
• All submitted works must be in English Language.
• A maximum of two entries will be allowed per entrant.
• Past awardees are not eligible to submit entries.
• AMDF Employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate in this competition.
• The journalist with the most outstanding work amongst the finalists will be selected as the AMDF Journalist of the Year.
• By sending an entry to this competition, you agree to grant AMDF a royalty-free licence to use your submitted works for any purpose deemed appropriate for the development of the Award concept, the AMDF and the media in general.
The submitted package should include:• Current CV of the journalist who bears byline of the story
• A panel of judges, comprising of respected persons with suitable competencies in journalism, shall preside the competition.
• The judges reserve the right to disqualify any piece of work or finalist if, in their opinion, there exists any reasonable doubt about the authenticity, or accuracy of submitted work, or the integrity of the finalists.
• If entries in a category are adjudged to have fallen below expected standard, such categories will be declared No Finalists – this is to promote excellence and preserve integrity of the Award
• AMDF award recipients and runners-up are expected to be persons of high ethical and professional standards. The organisation reserves the right to withdraw awards at any point in time based on the misconduct of the recipient.
Deadline for Submission of Entries: 4PM Monday 30th September, 2019. Only entries received by the deadline will be treated.
AMDF is a media development organisation that provides professional support to media, journalists and development communication initiatives. Visit here for more on the organisation.